Configure Email on Android (Jelly Bean 4.1/Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0)
Please be aware that not all android phones are the same and some settings may differ due to skinning. This article was created with screenshots from a stock phone running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1.
Note: Prior to following the steps below be sure to make sure IMAP and or POP3 retrieval are checked for the email account being added in Smartermail.
1. Open the mail app of your choice and add a new account. By default the app may bring you strait to setup if you have no previous accounts setup.
2. Input the email address of the account you are setting up and its password, then click Manual Setup.
3. Select what delivery protocol you wish to use:
- POP3: (Post Office Protocol) Allows an email client to download an email from an email server. The POP3 protocol is simple and does not offer many features except for download. Its design assumes that the email client downloads all available email from the server, deletes them from the server and then disconnects. POP3 normally uses port 110.
- IMAP: (Internet Message Access Protocol) Shares many similar features with POP3. It, too, is a protocol that an email client can use to download email from an email server. However, IMAP includes many more features than POP3. The IMAP protocol is designed to let users keep their email on the server. IMAP requires more disk space on the server and more CPU resources than POP3, as all emails are stored on the server. IMAP normally uses port 143.
- Exchange: Only use this option if you have an exchange account through Gearhost.
4. Everything on the next screen should be correct except IMAP Server. Change the word imap or pop3 to be "mail" so it says mail.your-domain.com. Click Next.
5. Everything on this screen should be default be correct. Make sure it matches the image below. Click Next.
6. The next screen has options you can choose based on your own preferences. We recommend the defaults as shown below. Click Next.
7. Now you can Label this account, by default it is your email address, however we recommend the company or domain the email is for. Click Next.
8. Email is now setup and should be syncing. Enjoy getting mail to your phone.